Sunday, June 1, 2014

Art is BEAUTIFUL



I am not going to pretend that I know ANYTHING about art. 

I remember my poor mother trying to expose me to "culture" when I was young.  She took me to the ballet, to see different museums, and to view different works of art.  I have to admit, I didn't really get it when I was younger.  Even now, most abstract or modern art baffles me.  I just don't understand it.  I can't do out of the box thinking like that.  

I took an art history class in college.  It was crazy.  I had an ENORMOUS textbook that weighed more than at least one of my children at the time.  I learned about the different types of art, where their influences came from, and how to tell the difference between them all.  I remember almost nothing.

I do remember thinking how beautiful impressionist artwork seemed.  I love how the colors seem to blur harshly together when you look up close, but they almost magically come together to create almost a perfect story once you step away.  I love the texture of the brushstrokes.  I love that my brain adds many of the details that aren't included in Impressionism.  Truly, I would fill my home with pictures of the great Impressionists if I could.

My tastes are all over the place.  I do tend to focus on watercolor or chalk pastel work.  I like whimsical or unusual things, just because they make me laugh or smile more.  My Pinterest boards tend to reflect whatever is inspiring me at the moment.  One thing is for sure... I am completely in love with acorns and foxes.   Yes, I do know that is weird.  That's okay.  I wouldn't want to be overly normal anyway.

My FAVORITE art is Katie Daisy's stuff.  Every single thing she paints is like a breath of fresh air... a cup of great coffee...the feeling of sunshine on your skin after you step out of air conditioning.  It is good.   Her etsy
store is like a candy store.  Go take a peek!  The Wheatfield  I'm going to be honest... I'm not sure about posting pictures and copyright infringment, so I am not posting any pictures of her work, but seriously.... it is cheerful, meaningful, fun, and perfect.  I would have a print in every single room if I could.

I have several artists in my family.  One is my Aunt Janet.  She painted one of my very favorite paintings of my grandmother and I at a picnic.  It is a treasured memory and captures everything that was amazing about my grandmother.  She really was something.  I am thankful to have the painting as a reminder of both her and my Aunt who lives so far away.  
Another artist is my Great Aunt Libby.  She paints china, and it is beautiful.  She has made cups or piggy banks for my cousins and I and all of our children.  I inherited a Libby collection of items from my grandparents and I love them dearly.  I am often inspired by the delicate details she captures. 

 My grandmother Libby on my father's side was an artist as well.  I have no memories of her, but I have a box full of hand painted cards that she made for each one of my birthdays.  They are simple and whimsical, but treasures none the less.  
My brother-in-law is an artist.  His art is very different than what I would normally be drawn to, but there is an honesty to and story told by each piece.  The link under the picture sends you to his website.  ;) This is my favorite of his more recent work... 
Check out Ben's amazing video in which he creates a work of art in 7 days on camera.  He is truly gifted, and it's because of him that I am making sure to expose my children to ALL kinds of art.  I want my daughter, who loves to draw and paint, to explore her creativitiy as often as she wants to.  She has always wanted to be an artist, and I will make sure she has that opportunity.
Are you inspired by art?  Do you think art is beautiful?

Blessings,
Mandy






No comments:

Post a Comment